City of Bones by Cassandra Clare - Review

Summary

Clary Fray witnesses something terrible... but nobody else does. A murder, committed by teenagers with strange tattoos. And then she and her mother are attacked by something and her mother is stolen. Another encounter with the tattooed strangers and she is pulled into the world of Shadowhunters, demon-hunters, and a dreamy, golden boy named Jace.


Review

City of Bones is a book with two kinds of readers: people who like it, and people who dislike it. I am one of the latter. Not for some of the reasons that other people have mentioned. I couldn't care less if she stole from Buffy and Star Wars and lord knows what else (ehm, Harry Potter?).

What I care about is her writing.

It dragged. Oh lord, it dragged. There is no reason for this book to be 400 pages long. Not only did I find that it dragged throughout the entire book, but at the ending! The ending was the worst!

I initially read this book at the recommendation of a friend. We were going to see the movie and she, just like I am, is a huge proponent of reading the book first. So I scrambled around for two days to read it fast. I figured that some of weariness just came from having to GET IT DONE!!!! but I read the second one, too. Actually, I didn't finish the second one. Because the ending was horribly long and drawn out.

I feel it's worth mentioning that for nearly the entire time, it seems like Clary's mother is totally forgotten about, until the end where she just pops her head in when the ending is needed.

I must give credit where credit is due. I have seen nobody complaining that her actual world was stolen from other people, so I don't feel any shame in saying it. I adored the world that she created. She made me want to read more about it. That's why I initially picked up the second book. She put a new twist on YA fantasy and it's refreshing.

I also wasn't too upset with the characters and their characterization. When reading YA, there will always be aspects that are cliche; I've accepted that fact - every book will have its tropes.

But coupled with the fact that there are too many words, those tropes can come off annoying.

Don't get me wrong, it was an okay-read. I  wouldn't read it again, but I would also recommend it to a friend, especially knowing that there's a 50/50 chance they could love it.

-Havityia


Rating: 3/5

Comments